Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Homeward Bound

Day 86, October 10th, 2008

First of all, I wanted to thank everyone for reading my blog over the past few months and sharing my travels with me. With all of the emails and comments I have received, it has really made me feel like I’ve had company on a trip that was otherwise completed mostly solo. My trip is coming to an end but check back over the next week or so because I have a ton of videos that I am going to upload from home when I have an internet connection that can accommodate more than email.

Right now, I am on a plane over the Atlantic Ocean. I left three months ago headed West and am about to complete my trip around the world returning from the East. As my trip ends, I reflect back at all that I’ve seen, done, and experienced.

Over the past 3 months, I’ve:
-Set foot on 4 continents
-Spent at least one night in 11 foreign countries
-Visited a total of 15 foreign countries
-Swam in the Indian Ocean, the Straights of Malacca, the Andaman Sea, the South China Sea, the Gulf of Tonkin, the Red Sea, the Dead Sea, and the Mediterranean Sea.
-Flew by the highest spot on Earth: Mt. Everest.
-Swam in the lowest spot on Earth: the Dead Sea
-Traveled over… 27,000 miles by air, 1700 miles by train, 2000 miles by car/bus, 300 miles by boat, 20 miles by subway, 10 miles by camel, donkey, horse, etc, and 2 miles by cable car. That is a total travel distance of over 32,000 miles
-Seen wonders of the modern and ancient world including the Pyramids of Egypt, the Petronas Towers, Angkor Wat, Petra, and countless others.
-Met dozens of fascinating people some of which I hope to remain friends with for years to come.
-Prayed to many deities including Christ, Allah, Vishnu, Shiva, Ganesha, Buddha, and a tree
-Visited the homelands of two of the most important religious figures in history: Jesus and Buddha
-Visited countless UNESCO World Heritage Sites
-Eaten some of the best and worst food that one can put into their mouth
- Lost a ton of weight and then gained it all back plus some.
-Experienced every emotion known to man: joy, excitement, fear, loneliness, trepidation, frustration, accomplishment, wonder, fortuitousness, adventurousness, peace, and happiness.
-Laughed… a lot.
-Broken one foot
-Had my fair share of blisters and sore feet
-Grown a few more grey hairs
-Experienced other cultures that I didn’t even know existed when I left in June like the Iban in Borneo or the floating villages of Cambodia.
-Seen evidence of the worst horror humans can inflict on each other and also witnessed acts of generosity that would thaw the coldest heart.
-Loved being on the road, missed my bed, and after a short break, can’t wait to plan my next adventure.
-Did not contract Malaria……

Best Regards,
David

3 comments:

Gwen H said...

David, I am so proud of you. YOur last entry brought tears to my eyes. What an experience you have had. Welcome home! We missed you.

Unknown said...

Wow. That is probably more than most ever dream to accomplish in a lifetime. I wonder if the travel channel is hiring- your blog is more interesting than most of their shows. Whenever you are settled in back home, give us a shout out. We should have a beer (or two, or three) and you can share your tips on how not to contract malaria.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking us along for the ride, Biondi. I can't tell you how impressed I was by the blog. You are now officially worldly, much more than I will ever be.